KARACHI: The key organisation campaigning for the recovery of ‘missing Baloch persons’ on Tuesday rejected a government ‘list’, citing that the official document did not carry the names of a number of victims of enforced disappearances and were yet to return.
Speaking at a press conference at the Karachi Press Club, Abdul Qadeer Baloch, better known as Mama Qadeer, founder leader of Voice for Baloch Missing Persons, said that more than 2,000 Baloch persons were still missing but the government list did not mention the names of a majority of them.
“During our meetings with senior officials, human rights organisations and international bodies, we raised the issue of missing Baloch persons’ recovery,” he said. “We were greatly supported by the human rights organisations and international bodies but the government did nothing credible. Even the list they came up with did not mention a majority of the victims’ names.”
Accompanied by a senior member of his organization, Farzana Baloch, he said the families of the missing persons had not given up so far. He added that after the successful march from Quetta to Islamabad, they were well prepared for another protest campaign.
“The government has not showed a single gesture that convinced us to believe in their words,” said Mr Baloch. “They failed to recover all missing persons, as they promised we would come out on the streets again. It’s the only option and democratic right we have.”
While raising the issue of her missing brother Zakir Majeed Baloch, Farzana Baloch demanded his early recovery. She referred to the orders by former chief justice of Pakistan Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry for the recovery of missing persons including his brother.
“But it’s so unfortunate that the government instead of following the orders removed his name from the official list of missing persons. How can one expect justice in this atmosphere and from these people who are so-called elected representatives?” she said.
She said in the past many years the Pakistani security agencies have abducted over 19000 Baloch including political activists, lawyers and journalists. The relatives of these abducted Baloch have been on constant protest on at press clubs and took rallies on road, and on several occasions they also appeared at Supreme Court to make their plea heard.
The families of enforced-disappeared Baloch have also conducted and successfully completed a Long March from Quetta to Islamabad.
She said: “I am also one of these protesting families because my brother, Zakir Majeed Baloch, was also in custody of Pakistani security agencies. In last five years I have been been running from the pillar to post to seek justice.”
“If my brother has committed any crimes then he should be brought before the Supreme Court. But from past five years the state agencies have not even once heard my plea to locate the whereabouts of my brother. My mother has sent me to every hearing at Supreme Court.” she added.
The other names include Mushtaq Baloch, Kabeer Baloch, Attaullah Baloch and Saadullah Baloch. “We conducted the long march for the safe release of our loved ones but the so called champions of justice and human rights have even removed the cases of Baloch political activists including my other Zakir Majeed,” She said.
She asked: “Can justice Jawad tell us why the doors of this institution for justice [Supreme Court] are being shut for us? Has Justice Jawad forgotten my plea and the tear of Kabeer Baloch’s mother?”
She also questioned the silence of civilised world on plight of Baloch people and the peaceful long march of Voice for Baloch Missing Persons for justice and freedom.
She appealed the United Nations, International Community, Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and other international humanitarian organisations to take notice of enforced-disappearances in Balochistan and play their role for the safe release of her brother Zakir Majeed and thousands of other abducted Baloch.