Pakistani police’s Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) claimed to have killed four suspected persons during an encounter in Nautal area of Nasirabad in Balochistan on Sunday, 2 October 2022.
The Voice for Baloch Missing Persons (VBMP), however, rejected the CTD’s claim and said that two persons killed in Nasirabad were already in the custody of Pakistani forces.
According to VBMP, the family identified two of the four persons identified as brothers Akbar and Jaisif sons of Nawab. They were forcibly disappeared from the Dera Murad Jamali region of Balochistan on 24 July 2022.
It should be noted that yesterday CTD claimed that unknown armed persons opened fire on a vehicle of CTD in the Nautal area of Naseerabad. As a result of the attack, two CTD officials were wounded and four attackers were killed.
The CTD is an infamous force of the Pakistan army tasked to kill previously abducted persons in staged encounters. In the past also CTD conducted such fake encounters but those killed were identified as missing persons.
Earlier in July this year, Pakistani forces claimed to have killed 9 people belonging to the Baloch Liberation Army in an encounter near Ziarat, but later the family members identified the victims as missing persons already in the custody of Pakistani forces.
On Sept 2022, the relatives of Baloch missing persons had postponed their 50 days protest against the Ziarat massacre and fake encounters of CTD, in the red zone of Quetta on the assurance of Federal Minister Rana Sanaullah.
A government committee assured the protestors that measures will be taken to prevent enforced disappearances and that there will be no more killing of missing persons in fake encounters.
VBMP Vice-Chairman and veteran human rights activist Mama Qadeer Baloch also slammed the CTD for putting the names of Baloch missing persons in its Red Book. Mama Qadeer Baloch said that many of the people listed in CTD’s Red Book have been missing for years.
Mama Qadeer Baloch cited the examples of Jan Muhammad s/o Abdul Rehman, who was picked from Quetta in July 2015, and Nouroz s/o Haji Khan, who was picked from Mastung in February 2016. He said that these and numerous others were picked up by the security forces, and now the CTD has labelled them as “fugitives.” He said that considering CTD’s chequered history of “fake encounters”, the safety of Baloch’s missing persons is at stake.
The CTD has made numerous such claims which have been repudiated by human rights groups and investigative journalists.
Courtesy: The Balochistan Post / Baloch Warna