Two bodies were found behind the bushes by the roadside near Jam Goth, according to Memon Goth SHO Azam Hayat. Both bodies, each with a single bullet wound in the head, were wrapped up in a blanket and a bedspread.
Another victim with a single gunshot wound in the head was spotted in the Malir riverbed in Shah Latif Town, said Shah Latif SHO Arshad Awan.
An examination of the crime scene showed they had been kidnapped and gunned down somewhere else before their bodies were dumped there, said SHO Hayat. He added that no spent bullet casings were found at the crime scene.
According to the Memon Goth SHO, Mohammad Rafiq was resident of Orangi Town’s Fatah Mor while Nazir Ismail, who hailed from Turbat, had arrived here to visit his relatives in Ghulam Mohammed Goth, Malir.
The victims were identified as Rafiq, 28, Ismail, 30, and Pervez Saleem, 35, according to the law-enforcers.
SHO Hayat quoted witnesses as saying that some people travelling in a four-wheeler and riding a motorbike had dumped the bodies there on Thursday night.
“All the victims were Baloch,” said the officer.
The bodies were shifted to the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre for a post-mortem examination before being handed over to the heirs of the victims in Malir, he added.
Saleem and Ismail were said to be related, the police added.
“All of them had been kidnapped from Anwar Baloch restaurant in Ghulam Mohammed Goth,” said the police officer quoting the relatives. But he was not sure as to when they had been kidnapped. He said the relatives told the investigators that they would get the FIR lodged after the burial. “At this moment, we are not sure whether they were political activists or not,” said SHO Hayat.
However, Abdul Qadeer Baloch of the Voice for Baloch Missing Persons said: “The victims were missing Baloch activists.”
He claimed that he had a list of missing persons and the names of the victims were mentioned on the list. They had been missing for quite some time, he said.
Only a day ago, three other missing Baloch activists had been found shot dead in Nawabshah, said Qadeer Baloch, better known as Mama Qadeer.
While they had been taken away from Hyderabad some time ago, they originally hailed from Nawabshah, said the rights activist.
Chairperson of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan Zohra Yusuf said: “This is a disturbing trend that we have been witnessing for the past two years. The bodies of missing Baloch activists kidnapped from Balochistan are dumped in different areas of Karachi.”
While the number of missing persons dropped over the past two years, the victims during this period seldom returned home as most of them were killed unlike the past practice when some missing persons used to come back home, she observed.
The HRCP chairperson said: “Unfortunately, the media as well as the judiciary has been preoccupied with other issues and the issue of gross violation of human rights has not grabbed their attention.”