If any “vindictive” action was taken against any teacher in the name of election duty, then the teachers would refuse to perform election duties all over the province. Jatak
QUETTA: Deployment of the military and paramilitary forces in the ‘sensitive’ and ‘most sensitive’ districts of Balochistan began on Monday to maintain law and order during the general elections.
Official sources said that more than 15,000 personnel of the army and the Frontier Corps (FC) would be deployed in the sensitive districts, namely, Mastung, Kalat, Khuzdar, Turbat, Panjgur, Gwadar, Dera Bugti, Kohlu, Awaran, Kharan and Washuk.
The army and FC contingents would be responsible for security in the sensitive districts, and they would start performing their duties from May 1, said Balochistan Home Secretary, Akbar Hussain Durrani, while talking to the media.
The Inspector-General of the FC, Major-General Obaidullah Khan, said that a comprehensive plan to conduct fair and transparent elections in a peaceful atmosphere had been finalized. Meanwhile, the Balochistan Home Department has extended the ban on pillion-riding for an indefinite period.
On the other hand, the Balochistan Professors and Lecturers Association (BPLA) has also refused to perform election duties owing to the security threats in the most sensitive districts of the province.
A spokesman for the BPLA told the media that the college teachers had been receiving threats from some militant groups and banned organizations, warning them against performing election duties.
So it was decided that the college teachers would not be doing their duties on the day of election on May 11 in at least 12 districts of the province. However, they would be available to discharge their duties in the remaining 18 districts of the province.
Earlier, the Government Teachers Association of Balochistan (GTAB) had refused to perform election duties in 10 districts of the province.
In this regard, the provincial authorities, led by the Chairman of the Chief Minister’s Inspection Team, Munir Ahmed Badini, who is also having the additional responsibilities of the Secretary of Education, were also unsuccessful in convincing the teachers’ representative to change their stance.
However, Badini managed to convince the GTAB to end their boycott in two districts, Lasbela and Chaghai. Meanwhile, in a statement issued here, the President of GTAB, Muhammad Nawaz Jatak, strongly ctiticised a statement of the Home Secretary in which he had warned the teachers of stern action in case they boycotted the election duties in the province. Jatak said that if any “vindictive” action was taken against any teacher in the name of election duty, then the teachers would refuse to perform election duties all over the province.
Courtesy: The News